Call for an Appointment 937-254-2600


Can My Prison Sentence Be Reduced?

Posted by Christopher Fogt | Jul 07, 2022 | 0 Comments

Everyone values their freedom and time spent incarcerated can feel like an eternity. If you have been convicted of a crime, you are probably wondering whether you are required to spend your entire stated sentence in a correctional facility. The good news is that many inmates are eligible to reduce their sentence by earning credit days.  

Good Behavior

Correctional institutions have many strict rules and avoiding conflicts with others can be difficult. However, managing to routinely follow every procedure and avoid trouble, can be immensely beneficial.

Pursuant to O.A.C. 5120-2-05, inmates can have their sentence reduced by up to 30 percent for exhibiting good behavior while incarcerated. The credit days are awarded on a monthly basis for “faithfully observing the rules of the institution.” This includes avoiding citations and maintaining a positive relationship with staff and other inmates.

Participating in Programs

Inmates have a lot of time on their hands. However, time in prison can be constructive. Ohio correctional institutions offer a multitude of options to help improve the lives of prisoners. In addition to being a valuable learning experience, participating in programs can be used to reduce the total amount of time that has to be served. 

Pursuant to R.C. 2967.193 and O.A.C. 5120-2-06, offenders can earn up to 5 days of credit toward their sentence for each month spent completing a constructive program such as education classes, vocational training, prison employment, or substance abuse treatment.

In addition, there are certain programs that can result in a one-time credit of 90 days toward the completion of a sentence or a 10 percent reduction, whichever is less. These programs include: high school diploma or GED, therapeutic drug communities, three phases of intensive outpatient drug treatment, career technical vocational programs, college certification programs, and certificate of achievement and employability programs.

What Sentences Cannot Be Reduced?

Those who have been convicted of an offense of violence, a sexually oriented offense, or an offense involving mandatory prison time are not eligible to receive days toward a reduced sentence. 

About the Author

Christopher Fogt

Education Christopher Fogt attended Case Western Reserve University School of Law. Case Western is a nationally recognized law school with an esteemed faculty. He is a proud alumni. Christopher Fogt is also a proud alumni of University of Dayton where he graduated with two Bachelor of Art Degree...


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment


Fogt Law Office is a BBB Accredited Lawyer in Dayton, OH

Fogt Law, LLC
937-254-5911 (fax)
Mon: 08:00am - 06:00pm
Tue: 08:00am - 06:00pm
Wed: 08:00am - 06:00pm
Thu: 08:00am - 06:00pm
Fri: 08:00am - 06:00pm